The following list outlines hardware that the OpenBSD project could use.
There are a number of reasons why developers need hardware, and it is important
to first of all realize these reasons:
- To support a specific device, normally one which is more rare or new.
- To be part of their development environment.
- Some types of machines may be different in some way
(i.e. big-endian or unsigned-char) and ensure that developers
write code more carefully.
- That said, space or power may be at a premium for some people.
If you do not own these devices, but want to help us, we recommend you
search on eBay for the devices. If
you do the bidding and then get the device shipped to us, it really
helps us. It is better if developers develop, and skip the bidding process,
since any time saved can be spent on improving OpenBSD instead.
If it is clear which specific developer should be contacted, please do
so directly. Otherwise contact Theo de Raadt
who will pass on the message to whichever developers are in need.
Please be very clear as to where you are located!! For larger items this
can be very important.
General device requirements
We try to spread these types of devices around our development community.
- Laptops. These die often enough that as a group our needier
developers need help replacing about 2-3 per year.
- Apple Mac powerpc equipment.
- HP J6750 machines (J6700 is the second best choice).
- Faster & smaller sparc64 machines, for instance 1U rack mount
machines. It is important to spread sparc64 around the development
community, since it is the most strict platform for detecting non-portable
or buggy code.
- Any amd64 or faster i386 hardware which comes available.
- We generally do not need older and "very common" ISA/PCI equipment, since
our developers will generally have gotten their hands on these in the
Specific platform requests by our developers
- Mikrotik RB450Gx4 with CA150 case needed in Australia. Contact email@example.com.
- CPU activation keys for M10-1 servers. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Specific devices and equipment needed by our developers